Students of the Laurentian Elementary School receive a good education, and they’re well-surrounded by teachers and staff who care about your child’s learning success.
We care too – and we want to provide students of L.E.S. with a richer, more rewarding school experience full of hands-on activities, socio-learning opportunities, and fun events that help kids get involved with the world around them.
Who are we?
We’re F.O.L.E.S., the Friends of Laurentian Elementary School, and we’re a registered charitable organization run entirely by volunteers. Our mission involves fundraising for the L.E.S. school to help provide students with a wide variety of engaging activities and learning resources.
Each year, F.O.L.E.S. works hard to raise money that helps cover the costs of:
- Transportation to at least one educational field trip or learning center per classroom
- Special art classes where children can explore creativity in fun hands-on activities
- Winter Carnival Day, where kids enjoy being kids at skiing and tube-sliding facilities
- The yearly cross-country run event so that kids can participate in a healthy, physical activity
- New, safe and modern playground equipment so kids can enjoy recess to its fullest
- Naturalization of the L.E.S. playground to blend playtime with nature
- Up-to-date computer equipment so kids learn crucial skills for today’s modern technology
- Library books that engage and interest kids with new and up-to-date material
And much more. You can see all the ways we’ve helped the students of L.E.S. here or view a list of our current fundraising goals here.
Why are we raising money for these activities? Because unfortunately, none of them come included in your child’s school experience. Massive government budget cuts to the educational system have forced school boards to restrict funding to basic operating needs for the Laurentian Elementary School.
We believe that every child deserves a fun, rewarding and engaging school experience, regardless of how tight budgets have become. That’s why we work so hard to raise funds, make a difference and provide our children – and yours – with the best possible school experience we can.
Our base minimum fundraising goal for each school year is $10,000…and the more money we can raise, the more rewarding your child’s school experience becomes. To put that amount into perspective and see where each dollar we raise gets distributed, click here.
How do we manage to raise such substantial amounts each year? Through activities that you and your family can enjoy, like our Fall Barbecue, Spring Golf Tournament, Movie Nights for the kids, and various fundraising sales for cookie dough, Christmas trees and wreaths, garden compost, student-contributed cookbooks and yearbooks.
Check out our full list of our current and upcoming events here – there’s something for everyone to enjoy, and your support directly helps your child have a better school experience.
Interested in making a donation or sponsoring one of our events? Check out how you can help here.
Thinking of volunteering a little bit of your time? We welcome any helping hands! Learn more about volunteering here.
Every little bit helps – and it’s a philosophy we’re proud to model for children who attend L.E.S. Won’t you join us?